In our last post, we discussed three things to do before creating a website for your business. Now it’s time to discuss a very important next step: will you DIY or hire a designer? Let’s discuss some of the pros and cons of each approach to help you make an informed decision when creating your website.
First, let’s consider the DIY approach. Creating your own website can be a fun and rewarding experience, especially if you’re the type of person who enjoys the creative process.
Website DIY Pros:
- Cost: This is one of the biggest advantages of DIY-ing your website. Hiring a professional web designer can be a considerable expense, especially if you’re on a tight budget and still new in your business. While there are still costs involved in a DIY project (website hosting, template purchase, etc.), the savings can be significant.
- Control: When you create your own website you have complete control over the design and functionality. You can make changes at any time, without having to go through a third party. It cuts down on additional communication and having to explain your vision to someone else.
- Learning Experience: Creating a website can be a great learning experience when you are getting hands on with building your website. You’ll gain valuable skills and knowledge that you can use in the future, especially if you were to redesign your website down the road.
Website DIY Cons:
- Time: Creating a website can be time-consuming, especially if you’re new to the process. If you have a deadline to meet, or if you’re juggling multiple projects, building your own website might not be the best use of your time.
- Technical Expertise: Creating a website requires some level of technical expertise. If you’re not familiar with these concepts, you might struggle to create a website that looks professional and functions properly.
- Professionalism: A DIY website may not look as professional as one created by a professional web designer, and it may lack some of the backend structure that is optimal for search engine optimization (SEO).
If you decide to DIY your site, you will save more money, but spend more time.
Website Designer Pros:
- Expertise: When you hire a professional web designer, you’re hiring someone with the expertise to create a high-quality website that meets your specific needs for your website no matter the reason you are creating it.
- Time-Saving: Hiring a website designer can save you time, especially if you have a lot of other things on your plate like a job or other commitments. It takes time to create a professional and visually appealing website on your own. A professional web designer can create your website efficiently, leaving you free to focus on other aspects of your business or project.
- Customization: A professional web designer can create a website that is customized to your specific needs and goals. This can be especially important if you’re creating a website for your business or brand. You are able to provide the vision you have for your website, and they work their magic to provide a high quality and professional website. They will also know how best to optimize your website from an SEO standpoint.
Website Designer Cons:
- Cost: As mentioned already, hiring a professional web designer can be a significant investment. This might not be a feasible option if you’re on a tight budget.
- Communication: Working with a web designer requires strong communication skills. If you’re not comfortable and effective when communicating your needs and preferences with your web designer, you might struggle to get the website you want and envision.
Obviously when considering the pros and cons of whether to DIY your website or hire a web designer, it ultimately comes down to your goals, budget, and comfort level with technology. Are you looking to save more time or more money at this stage of business? Do you have a general comfort level with learning new technologies?
If you are interested in a DIY project stay tuned because I have an exciting offer launching this June!
If you’ve decided that you prefer to hire someone to build your website, let’s chat! Get in touch to learn how Ivy Lynne Studio can support you with building your new website.